Is it really time for back to school?! The transition from summer back into the school-year routine can be difficult for everyone…children and adults. There are two major stressors that every parent dreads – waking your child up and getting them ready to walk out the door. Here are 2 key steps to help your morning routine go smoothly.
1. Get your sleep and wake times back on track.
– Gradually move your bedtimes and wake times back to where they need to be. This may take some time and slowly moving your times earlier and earlier each day can help ease the transition.
– To see how many hours of sleep are ideal for your child’s age, see our sleep guide here.
2. Create a daily routine.
– Make a daily morning routine and after-school routine
– Many parents struggle with morning routines…every day is a struggle to get their kids ready for school and out the door. Start now to get everyone used to getting ready in the morning.
- Write down the steps of your child’s morning routine.
- Each day have them check off that they completed each step.
- Reward them for completing their routine independently.
- Ex: If your child completes her morning routine independently she can have 10 minutes of iPad time before school.